By Daily Sports on September 12, 2019
Barcelona midfielder Arda Turan has received a suspended jail sentence of nearly three years for firing a gun in a hospital after a fight with a singer.
Turan – currently on loan to Istanbul Basaksehir – got into a brawl with Berkay Sahin last year which ended with a broken nose for the pop star.
The footballer, 32, then turned up at the hospital and shot at the floor.
He was sentenced for firing a gun to cause panic, illegal possession of weapons and intentional injury.
A court gave him a jail sentence of two years and eight months but he will not spend time in prison unless he commits another crime in the next five years.
Istanbul Basaksehir has fined the midfielder 2.5 million Turkish lira (£350,000) over the incident.
Reports say Berkay Sahin was with his wife Ozlem Ada Sahin at an upscale Istanbul nightclub last October when the fight broke out.
Ms Sahin told Haberturk newspaper at the time that Turan made suggestive remarks to her, and then attacked her husband, who is well-known in Turkey. The singer was then taken to hospital for surgery on his broken nose.
But the incident didn’t end there. Turan appeared at the hospital with a gun, allegedly begging for forgiveness. Panic ensued after the footballer fired the weapon at the ground.
Writing on Instagram on Wednesday, Turan apologised to his club and his family for his “momentary mistake”.
However, he said the allegation he verbally harassed Ms Sahin was “a heavy and ugly slander”. The Turkish court acquitted him of sexual harassment charges on Wednesday.
“I learned lessons from these events,” he wrote. “My greatest aim is to make my family, my dear wife, my club and friends proud.” (BBC)
•Photo shows Arda Turan
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 12, 2019
You may also like...
Lacazette Recovering From COVID, Auba Negative
Etoroma hails Amaju Pinnick for his foresight •Says...
Whyte offered Joshua rematch — Hearn
Canelo Alvarez still stuck in Mayweather's shadow ahead...
Gauff Stuns Defending Champion Osaka In Melbourne
Salah Keeps Liverpool’s Record Chase On Track

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,104 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,058 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,446 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)