By Daily Sports on September 6, 2019
Kada Queens basketball players of Kaduna are boycotting training over 20 months unpaid allowances, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The protest is coming two days to the commencement of the second phase of the Zenith Bank National Basketball League.
Some of the Kada Queens players told NAN that the state government which owns the team have completely neglected them.
“We are not suspending our protest until we get paid our entitlements,” one of the players said on condition of anonymity.
“There is no hope for the second phase of the Zenith Bank league for us, because we have not received any allowance since last year.
“They are always begging us and giving fake promises without fulfilling any.
“We always do our best to make them proud during league season but we don’t get appreciated.”
Another player said: “Some of us are coming from distant places to play and cannot continue to play without allowance.
“Apart from our personal needs, we also have parents and siblings to cater for.
“We don’t trust the management any longer as previous promises to offset the allowances have gone unheeded.
“If the management value our welfare and the interest of the team, they would do everything possible to settle our allowances.”
The fear of most of the players is that the club management will not pay the outstanding entitlements once the league comes to an end.
Reacting to the players’ protest, Head coach of the team, Simsim Morrison, appealed to them to exercise more patience as the management was working towards offsetting the allowances.
“The players are right to demand for the payment of their allowances, but the timing should be put into consideration.
“I am appealing to the players to exercise patience as we are also looking for a good response from the government.
“We will always insist that the players should be motivated at all times so that they can give us their very best and make our job easier.”
The coach expressed concern that the team may not do well in the second phase of the league if the players refuse to return to training. (NAN)
•Photo shows basketball court
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 6, 2019
You may also like...
Vardy Signs Contract Extension At Leicester
Ndidi injured again, out for weeks
Enyimba, Al Ittihad Wait On CAF Over Nigerian...
Calabar Tragedy: Efik Mothers plan Viewing Centre to...
Buhari congratulate ‘Golden Girl’ Amusan for winning world-record...
Rashford Set To Undergo Surgery

Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,790 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,112 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,069 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,846 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,034 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,530 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,959 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)