Renard Quits as Morocco Coach after Early Afcon Exit

By Daily Sports on July 22, 2019

Herve Renard is standing down as Morocco head coach after their early exit from the Africa Cup of Nations.

Morocco were one of the pre-tournament favourites for Egypt 2019 but suffered a shock penalty shootout defeat by Benin in the last 16.

Renard, who won Afcon with Zambia (2012) and Ivory Coast (2015), had been in charge since February 2016.

“It is time for me to close this long and beautiful chapter of my life,” said the Frenchman, 50.

In a statement on social media, Renard said he was “not without some emotion and sadness”, adding: “It is an inevitable decision taken well before Afcon 2019.

“I took this decision after having – of course – carefully considered [it]. It is therefore irreversible.”

Renard took Morocco from 81st in the Fifa world rankings to 47th.

He led them to two Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, and to the World Cup in Russia in 2018 – the first time the Atlas Lions had played at the global event for 20 years.

His hopes of winning a third Afcon title were dashed in Egypt, and Renard admitted it was not the outcome he had expected.

“We had all hoped [for] better for the Afcon 2019 in Egypt. But this is football – it gives birth to the wildest hopes (after three wins in the first round [for the] first time in Afcon final tournament for Morocco), and brings us hard to the reality of a too-quick elimination on penalties!” (BBC)

•Photo shows Herve Renard 

Source Daily Sports

Posted July 22, 2019


 

You may also like...
Ezeji salutes FC Ifeanyi Uba, Rivers Angels

Rivers United NPFL Champions: Gov. Wike’s Dream Come...

Arsenal Eye First Win Against Norwich

Cavani Not Ready To Give Up Number 7...

Akwa United crash out of Confederation Cup, Nasarawa...

Edo 2020 National Sports Festival Postponed

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,321 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,492 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,475 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,077 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,062 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,058 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,875 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,421 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,534 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,135 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,574 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,995 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media