Embattled Louis van Gaal may throw in the towel as Manchester United’s Manager

By Daily Sports on December 27, 2015

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal said he could “quit by myself” after Stoke City condemned his side to a fourth straight defeat.

The Dutchman, under pressure after seven games without a win, was asked whether he feared he would be sacked.

“That is something I discuss with [executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward not you,” Van Gaal told a media conference after the game.

“It is not always the club that has to fire or sack me.”

He added: “Sometimes I do that by myself, but I am the one who wants to speak first with the board of Manchester United and my members of staff and my players, not with you.”

United’s miserable run has seen them knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage and slip out of the top four in the Premier League.

“I have received [the club’s backing] all the time but we have lost so there is a new situation,” said Van Gaal.

“I feel the support of my players and my board. The fans will be disappointed but that is logical after four defeats.”

Van Gaal does not think it is important that Woodward has not publicly backed him.

“For me it’s much more important that people are saying that to me,” he said. “I am not so interested in public sayings.”

Van Gaal saw his side quickly go behind to goals from Bojan Krkic and Marko Arnautovic, with United struggling to create chances as they tried to work their way back into the match in the second half.

“We have lost the game in the first 45 minutes because we didn’t dare to play our football. That is what I have analysed,” said Van Gaal, whose side’s next game is at home to Chelsea on Monday.

“The circumstances now play a bigger role and will in the next game also. We have to cope with that and look for the solution.

“It is very difficult as I’m also part of four losses and I have to cope with that and I have to manage that. More important is that my players shall manage that because they have to perform.”

Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer described United’s first-half performance as “pathetic”.

The former England striker said: “Van Gaal decided to take on the media this week and he picked a team he thought would scrap for him and that was the best they could do for him – that was embarrassing.

“On today’s evidence, the players are not willing. They put in a pathetic performance in the first half. He left his captain out as well and that is a big statement.

“His players are without doubt not performing at all so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he were to walk away.”

But fellow pundit Danny Murphy said he believed the Dutchman would not quit the club.

“My worry is that whoever comes in they’ve got a squad lacking athleticism,” said the former Liverpool and Fulham midfielder.

“With Jose Mourinho you’re guaranteed trophies and Pep Guardiola is the same. I’m sure there will be many meetings going on. They could do a lot worse than give it to [assistant manager] Ryan Giggs.”

Van Gaal dropped Wayne Rooney to the bench for the game at the Britannia Stadium.

The England striker came on for the second half but United still struggled to create chances as they went four top-flight games without victory.

Club captain Rooney has scored just two league goals so far this season and rarely looked like adding to that tally at Stoke, although he did set up Marouane Fellaini for a chance that was impressively saved by home keeper Jack Butland.

Van Gaal added: “I thought it was the right decision [to leave out Rooney] otherwise I would not have done it.

“We were better in the second half but then we didn’t have anything to lose.” (BBC Sport)

•Photo shows Louis Van Gaal.

Source Daily Sports

Posted December 27, 2015


 

You may also like...
Ajibade Relishes Super Falcons’ Win Against Burundi

British sprinters flown back to UK after bike...

Chelsea in soup over signing of grassroots players...

CAF Confederation: FUS Rabat vow to put up...

NPFL: Lobi maintain lead, Pillars edge Enyimba

Perez Hat-Trick Ends Newcastle Relegation Fears

 

Latest News Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,564 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,871 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,783 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,420 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,335 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,253 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,122 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,670 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,841 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,230 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media