Injured Williams Out of Italian Open but Plans to Play at Roland Garros

By Daily Sports on May 15, 2019

Twenty three-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams plans to compete at the French Open despite withdrawing from the Italian Open with a knee injury.

The American, 37, was set to play sister Venus Williams in the second round but said she would be “concentrating on rehab” now.

“I look forward to seeing you all at the French Open and next year in Rome,” she added.

Former world number one Caroline Wozniacki also pulled out in Italy.

Wozniacki, 28, withdrew from her first-round match against American Danielle Collins because of a leg injury, having lost the first set 7-6 (7-5).

It is the second straight tournament at which the Dane has been forced to retire early on.

She trailed 3-0 against Alize Cornet in the opening round of the Madrid Open earlier this month before pulling out with a back injury.

Williams has also struggled with injury - pulling out of the Miami Open at the third-round stage in March, after a viral illness prevented her from competing in Indian Wells. The French Open tournament kicks off on 26 May and Williams is chasing her fourth title, while Wozniacki, a former Australian Open champion, has never gone beyond the quarter-final stage. (BBC) 

•Photo shows Serena Williams

Source Daily Sports

Posted May 15, 2019


 

You may also like...
Hope alive! Ighalo close to Club World Cup...

Coronavirus: Djourou & Song Among Nine Sion Players...

Fury, Usyk Fight Gets Date, Venue, Next Week...

Abramovich Rejects Bargain Bids For Chelsea

Joshua can still bounce back, says promoter

Iwobi disappointed despite goal against Watford

 

Latest News Falcons to get new coach before Olympic qualifier Okocha bemoans Eagles’ lack of home ground Ajayi set for Silesia Diamond League showdown Awoniyi fired up for Coventry after reported £9m move Pro boxers celebrate Aboderin at 60 Ikogosi Road Race returns Oct 31 ‘That goal changed my life,’ Okocha recalls iconic solo strike against Oliver Kahn WAFCON: Ajibade insists Falcons gave everything Dolphins begin WBPL title defence with 59-46 win Obiejesi Ratified As President of Okija Town Union, Lagos ...Thanks Members For Endorsing Him ...Urges Them To Unite And Move The Union Forward Onuachu, Osimhen, others set for title defences as new season begins Hrgovic confident of Itauma upset

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,035 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,391 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,282 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,883 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,760 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,636 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,534 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,046 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,252 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,723 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,207 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,585 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media