By Daily Sports on May 9, 2019
Chelsea will challenge a transfer ban from Fifa at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the London club said Wednesday after football's world governing body rejected a first appeal.
The ban on Chelsea signing players over the next two transfer windows remained largely in place after Fifa issued their ruling earlier on Wednesday.
In February, the Blues were banned from signing players for their men's teams for the next two transfer windows after being found guilty by Fifa’s disciplinary committee of breaching regulations relating to the recruitment of minors.
Chelsea denied any wrongdoing and appealed.
On Wednesday, the governing body of world soccer announced that its appeal committee had “decided to partially uphold the appeal”.
The committee lifted part of the ban, but only for players under 16 who are not “international transfers and first registrations of foreign minor players”.
That means Chelsea will still not be able to sign male players over the age of 16 when the summer transfer window opens.
Chelsea responded to Fifa’s decision by saying they intended to lodge the transfer ban with CAS.
“The club notes that the Fifa appeal committee has decided to partially uphold the appeal lodged by Chelsea FC against the decision of the Fifa disciplinary committee,” the Blues said in a statement.
“However, the club is very disappointed that the transfer ban of two consecutive registration periods was not overturned,” it added.
“Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the Fifa appeal committee.
“It acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).”
Chelsea had been eager to have the ban lifted, or suspended pending an appeal, so they could be in a position to sign a replacement for Belgium's Eden Hazard, who is being touted as a possible £100 million (116 million euros, $131 million) transfer target for Real Madrid.
The appeal committee also confirmed the fine of 600,000 Swiss francs (526,000 euros, $590,000). (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Chelsea players
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 9, 2019
You may also like...
Mbaoma attributes Akwa United choice to team’s philosophy...
Qatar Open: Sir Murray extends winning streak to...
Tottenham Announce £80 Million Increase In Revenue
Kun Khalifat face sanction over botched NPFL game...
FIFA ok Nigeria, Argentina friendly in Russia
Striker saves opposing goalkeeper’s life

Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double
2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off
Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success
Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut
Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,787 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,111 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,066 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,633 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,548 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,453 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,287 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,845 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,031 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,528 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,955 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,405 views)