Magic Johnson Resigns from Lakers Role

By Daily Sports on April 11, 2019

Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson has resigned from his job as the team’s president of basketball operations.

The Lakers have failed to reach the play-offs for the sixth year in a row.

Johnson, who played a key role in bringing LeBron James to the team last year, broke the news before the 104-101 defeat by the Portland Trail Blazers.

“I had more fun when I was able to be the big brother and the ambassador to everybody,” the 59-year-old said at an impromptu news conference on Tuesday.

Johnson said he had not warned president Jeanie Buss of his decision to bring his two-year reign to an end.

“She doesn’t know I’m standing here because I know I would be crying like a baby in front of her, even though I’m about to cry now,” added Johnson.

“But it’s the right thing to do, the right move to make.”

Johnson, who said he had grown tired of the “the back-stabbing and the whispering” this season, also suggested he did not want to have to make a decision over the future of coach Luke Walton.

“Tomorrow I would have to affect someone’s livelihood and their life,” he said, without referring to Walton directly.

“I want to go back to having fun. I want to go back to who I was before taking on this job.”

The Lakers paid tribute to Johnson, a Hall of Famer during his playing days with the team, in a brief statement.

“There is no greater Los Angeles Laker than Earvin Johnson,” the statement said.

“We are deeply grateful to Magic for all that he has done for our franchise, as a player, an ambassador and an executive.” (BBC)

•Photo shows Magic Johnson

Source Daily Sports

Posted April 11, 2019


 

You may also like...
2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Enyimba Goalkeeper Noble Replaces...

Chukwu Commends Efforts by Dare, Amaju on Super...

Five Nigerian wonder kids get Arsenal squad numbers...

Spurs Sink Leicester to Stay in Title Hunt...

Bradley urges Swansea to be brave

Marseille line up loan move for Agu

 

Latest News Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau Ezechukwu eyes double gold in African Champs

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,780 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,037 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,443 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,839 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,026 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,524 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,948 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media