By Daily Sports on January 31, 2019
Lionel Messi believes Barcelona showed their appetite for the Copa del Rey by blowing away Sevilla 6-1 on Thursday to pull off a brilliant comeback and book their place in the semifinals.
Sevilla had won the first leg 2-0 but their lead was wiped out within 31 minutes at the Camp Nou, after Philippe Coutinho scored a penalty, deferred to him by Messi, before Ivan Rakitic poked in a second.
Ever Banega had squandered the chance to level for Sevilla by missing his own spot-kick and Barca ran riot in the second half.
Coutinho headed in his second and Sergi Roberto added a fourth, only for Guilherme Arana to give Sevilla brief hope. Luis Suarez and Messi wrapped up an emphatic victory late on, the latter after a superb counter-attacking move.
Some had suggested Barcelona would be relieved to exit the Copa del Rey to focus fully on La Liga and the Champions League but Messi said their display had silenced the doubters.
“It was said that we had given up in the cup, that we didn’t want it,” Messi said afterwards. “But in no way is this the case. This team wants to fight for all three titles, as is the obligation of Barca every year.”
Coutinho’s form has wavered in recent weeks but his double could do wonders for confidence.
Barcelona, meanwhile, are no strangers to these sort of revivals but against Sevilla, who sit fourth in La Liga and have been one of their closest challengers this season, it was particularly impressive.
The defending champions are into the last four for the ninth consecutive year and edge closer to an historic fifth Copa del Rey title in a row.
They join Valencia and Real Betis in the semis after Betis had earlier needed extra time to beat Espanyol 3-1, 4-2 on aggregate, while Valencia knocked out Getafe on Tuesday. (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Barcelona players in celebration mode
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 31, 2019
You may also like...
Manchester United To Battle Liverpool For Sarr’s Signature...
Champions League race will go 'all the way'...
LATEST FOOTBALL RESULTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
Messi double brings Barca relief
2023 AFCONQ: Five Foreign-Based Players Hit Sierra Leone...
Dinamo Zagreb 1-0 Chelsea: Mislav Orsic powers Croatian...

Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists
Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly
Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat
Chelle eyes foreign Eagles to strengthen Nigerian team
Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance
FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,562 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,868 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,779 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,418 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,332 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,252 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,120 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,668 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,838 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,368 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,760 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,228 views)