Barcelona may be booted out of Copa del Rey despite beating Levante

By Daily Sports on January 18, 2019

Barcelona defeated Levante in the second leg of the Round of 16 in Copa del Rey, but they face being thrown out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player in the first leg.

Levante’s president Francisco Javier Catalan confirmed the club will complain against the Catalan giant.

Levante won the opening match 2-1 last week and believe Barca defender Juan Brandariz “Chumi” played illegally as he should have been serving a suspension.

“Whatever happens on the field of play today, Levante are going to take this situation to the Federation tomorrow,” Javier Catalan said, shortly before the second leg at the Camp Nou on Thursday.

“We feel that there is a solid enough precedent to back up the club’s decision to do so.”

Chumi was given a ban after receiving a yellow card while playing for Barcelona’s B team in the Segunda B division.

Barcelona insist a change in the rules, made in November, means the suspension does not carry over into the Copa del Rey.

A source at Barcelona had told AFP Sport earlier on Thursday: “There has been no improper conduct nor a complaint from either Levante or the RFEF.”

Real Madrid were disqualified from the Copa del Rey in 2015 for fielding Denis Cheryshev, despite the player being suspended.

Cheryshev had received three yellow cards while playing for Villarreal in the competition in the previous season. (NAN)

•Photo shows Barcelona’s Juan Brandariz Chumi (right) should not have played, says Levante President

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 18, 2019


 

You may also like...
Howe Leaves Bournemouth By Mutual Consent After Relegation...

Premier League Confirms Zero Positive Covid-19 Tests

Lagos SUBEB, organisers ready for Kiddies Olympics

Dominant Nigeria claims 25 medals at CAA Region...

Liverpool’s Van Dijk A ‘Stress Test’ For Lukaku...

Ex-NBA Chief David Stern Dies Aged 77

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,314 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,482 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,470 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,069 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,052 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,050 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,867 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,415 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,524 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,129 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,566 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,987 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media