By Daily Sports on January 17, 2019
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is convinced head coach Ernesto Valverde will still be in charge at Camp Nou next season.
Valverde’s future with the Catalan side was thrown into doubt last month when he told Barca’s in-house TV channel he did not know for sure if he would be at the club in the 2019-2020 campaign.
Both Barcelona and Valverde have an option in his contract to terminate his deal at the end of the season.
Despite leading Barca to a La Liga and Copa del Rey double in his debut campaign in the dugout, Valverde’s perceived pragmatic style has drawn its detractors.
But Bartomeu is delighted with the job the former Athletic Bilbao coach is doing and does not foresee him departing.
Speaking to Sport, Bartomeu said: “We don’t have any doubts here that Valverde will be the Barcelona coach next season.
“We will speak with him, of course, in time. That’s what we agreed. He’s a coach we have a lot of confidence in.
“He’s doing a great job. He’s an intelligent person, he knows Barcelona’s system of play and he manages the games in a way which we like.”
Bartomeu also spoke about the future of Spain full-back Jordi Alba, who in November said it was “strange” that talks over a new deal had not begun despite his contract running out in 2020.
The Barca president, though, says 29-year-old Alba is part of the club’s long-term plans.
“Of course he will continue,” he added. “We are already working with him for a long renewal, for the next five years.” (Goal)
•Photo shows Ernesto Valverde
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 17, 2019
You may also like...
Enyimba Move To Rivers State For Continental Survival...
Edo State Begins Expedition Beyond National Sports Festival...
Roma Line Up Bid For Iheanacho
Ocheme closes in on PFL Africa crown
Federer Pulls Out Of Miami Open
Dortmund Reject Man United’s €100m Offer For Sancho...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,507 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)