IOC asks Senegal to help in Diack investigation

By Daily Sports on October 10, 2018

The International Olympic Committee has asked Senegal to support a French investigation into the son of the former head of the international athletics federation (IAAF) who is suspected of corruption, IOC President Thomas Bach said on Tuesday.

France’s financial prosecutor has said that Senegalese Papa Massata Diack, the son of former long-time IAAF President Lamine Diack, had been at the heart of a corruption scheme in international sports, an accusation he has denied.

The prosecutor said there were indications that payments were made in return for the votes of IAAF and IOC members over the designation of host cities for the Olympics and other major sporting events.

“We have been in contact with (IAAF President) Seb Coe on this,” Bach told reporters.

“We have asked Senegal already a long time ago to assist in the inquiry and we have had assurances months ago that if the French authorities want to hear Papa Massata Diack then they can come to Senegal and there he will be at the disposal of the French authorities.”

The President of Senegal, Macky Sall, was at the IOC Session in Argentina this week as the capital, Dakar, was named as the 2022 Youth Olympics hosts.

Lamine Diack was president of the IAAF from 1999-2015. He was the first African head of athletics’ governing body and an influential member of the IOC. His son was a former marketing consultant to the IAAF.

Brazilian investigators have said politicians and the head of the national Olympic committee arranged a $2 million bribe for Lamine Diack’s vote and for him to convince other IOC members from Africa to bring the 2016 Games to Rio de Janeiro.

The elder Diack is being detained in France as investigations continue. (SuperSport)

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 10, 2018


 

You may also like...
How Drogba Persuaded Hazard To Join Chelsea

Nottingham Forest dump Arsenal out of FA Cup...

Enyimba Cruise Past Sunshine Stars In Commanding Performance,...

El-Kanemi Warriors FC retain 15 players for 2016...

Isaac Success says he’s committed to Nigeria

Messi returns to Agentina national team

 

Latest News Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing 'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight Bayelsa begin NWFL title defence against Edo Queens ‘Nigeria ready for West Africa paravolley tourney’ 18 teams battle for Renewed Hope basketball tourney

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,198 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media