By Daily Sports on October 6, 2018
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says they “shouldn’t need the police to protect the bus” on their first return to Anfield since April’s hostile Champions League tie against Liverpool.
On that occasion, the City bus was pelted with objects as it arrived at the stadium before a 3-0 defeat.
“It is something for Liverpool, not me,” said Guardiola when asked about a possible repeat on Sunday.
“The best way to protect the bus is for Liverpool fans to go into the stadium.”
City are planning to use a different route this time, and have reportedly fitted their bus with 15 outward-facing cameras to capture any aggressive behaviour.
Coach Manuel Estiarte filmed the approach to Anfield in April, posting the footage – complete with the sound of objects hitting the bus – on social media.
A window was smashed and thousands of pounds of damage caused.
In September, Merseyside Police said no arrests had been made over the incident.
Some City fans have considered arriving on Merseyside early to line the route to the stadium in an attempt to prevent any repeat.
But Guardiola insists it should not be necessary.
“Why do our fans have to protect our bus? Are you kidding me? We shouldn’t need the police to protect the bus,” said the Spaniard.
City finished 25 points clear of Liverpool in the Premier League last season, but succumbed to a 5-1 aggregate defeat in the Champions League quarter-finals.
One of only two league defeats suffered by Guardiola’s side in their title-winning campaign also came at Anfield, when they lost 4-3 in January.
The two are level on points at the top of the table this season, with City ahead courtesy of goal difference.
“They have a lot of weapons to attack you,” said Guardiola.
“They are masters at taking advantage of your mistakes. They are a top side and a good contender. They deserve all the credit they get.”
•Adapted from a BBCSports.com report. Photo shows Manchester City coach, Pep Guardiola
Source Daily Sports
Posted October 6, 2018
You may also like...
Real Madrid hold on to Isco with €700m...
Lukaku: I had to lose muscle after World...
Jesus, Neymar, Coutinho on song as Brazil whip...
NTTF confirms 2025 U-12 training camp date
Arsenal cruise past Ostersunds
UCL: PSG beat Man City in thrilling 4-2...

Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Bayelsa begin NWFL title defence against Edo Queens
‘Nigeria ready for West Africa paravolley tourney’
18 teams battle for Renewed Hope basketball tourney
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,198 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)