Boxing may be axed from Olympics

By Daily Sports on October 5, 2018

Boxing risks being thrown out of the Olympics unless the sport’s ruling body addresses “grave” concerns regarding its governance, the International Olympic Committee executive board said.

A strongly worded IOC statement on Wednesday warned that the International Boxing Association (AIBA) must tackle governance issues at its upcoming congress or it could face sanctions.

“The Executive Board of the IOC today expressed its ongoing extreme concern with the grave situation within the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and its current governance,” the board said in a statement.

“These include the circumstances of the establishment of the election list and the misleading communication within the AIBA membership regarding the IOC’s position.”

The executive board, meeting in Buenos Aires where the Youth Olympic Games begin on Saturday, said the troubles in the AIBA affect “not just the reputation of AIBA and boxing but of sport in general”.

“Therefore, the IOC reiterates its clear position that if the governance issues are not properly addressed to the satisfaction of the IOC at the forthcoming AIBA Congress, the existence of boxing on the Olympic programme and even the recognition of AIBA as an International Federation recognised by the IOC are under threat.”

The IOC warned in July that boxing could still be axed from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics if the AIBA did not put its house in order.

In February the IOC said they were worried by the nomination of Uzbek businessman Gafur Rakhimov for the AIBA’s interim presidency.

However Rakhimov, who has been linked to organised crime by the US Treasury Department, is now the only candidate for the presidency to be voted on at the AIBA congress in Moscow in November.

In attempting to force change at the AIBA this year, the IOC had already suspended financial contributions from the IOC to the AIBA.

Even though the IOC believes sweeping change is needed at the AIBA, the governing body voiced support for boxers themselves.

“At the same time we would like to reassure the athletes that the IOC will — as it has always done in such situations and is currently doing at the Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 — do its utmost to ensure that the athletes do not have to suffer under these circumstances and that we will protect their Olympic dream

•Adapted from a NAN report. Photo shows boxers in the ring

Source Daily Sports

Posted October 5, 2018


 

You may also like...
T Akoma’s Ehis Iyoha Set for Asia Move...

Manchester United Announce New Contract For Henderson

Anthony Martial Learning Well From Ighalo At Man...

Man City Captain Fernandinho Named In Premier League...

Chukwueze named in Milan’s UCL squad

Why I Invited Enyimba Defender Valentine Ozornwafor To...

 

Latest News Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,879 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media