By Thompson Yamput on August 18, 2018
A Federal High Court sitting in Jos on Friday failed to vacate the ex-parte granted Chris Giwa, one of the parties in the leadership crisis that has engulfed the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).
The court had granted the order on June 5, 2018, which gave Giwa the impetus to pose as the President of the NFF.
Following that order, Giwa moved into the NFF headquarters last month, a development that did not go down well with Giwa’s rival, Amaju Pinnick, who rushed to the court with three motions on notice asking the court to vacate the order.
When the case came up for hearing on Friday, counsel to Pinnick, Mr Festus Ukpe, told the court that he had filed three motions on notice and was seeking the leave of court to move them.
He said that the motions sought to ask the court to vacate the ex-parte order earlier granted Giwa on June 5, 2018 so that Nigeria could escape a ban from football activities as threatened by FIFA.
But Giwa’s counsel, Mr Habila Ardzard, raised an objection to Pinnick’s motions, and notified the court of a pending appeal he filed before the Jos Court of Appeal in respect of the case.
He explained that the appeal was challenging the ruling of Justice Musa Kurya which allowed Pinnick to serve Giwa a photocopy of the said motions on notice, instead of original copies.
Ardzard argued that any attempt by the judge to hear any of Pinnick’s motions would amount to “abuse of court processes” and “judicial rascality.”
“My Lord, this Honourable court has been informed of the said appeal before the Jos Court of Appeal, and by that, this court lacks the jurisdiction to continue with this matter pending the determination of the appeal.
“This is the position of the Supreme Court and that of the Appellate court; if the lower court will do otherwise, it will only be setting itself on collision course with the Apex and Appellate Courts.
“We hereby urge your lordship to adjourn the case pending the determination of the appeal by the appellate court,” he argued.
Kurya, in his ruling, said that there were two posers – whether there was an appeal, and whether he could continue with the matter.
In answering the two posers, the judge declared that he had resolved the two in favour of Giwa, and therefore decided to adjourn the case indefinitely.
“Since there is an appeal before the appellate court, I don’t want to be involved in any judicial rascally, therefore I hereby adjourn the case indefinitely,” he declared.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the latest attempt is the third by Pinnick to convince the court to vacate the Ex-parte order it granted Giwa.
NAN also reports that the court’s position had created anxiety in soccer circles following the threat by FIFA to ban Nigeria if the NFF leadership crisis is not resolved.
FIFA had given Nigeria up to Monday, Aug. 20, 2018 to resolve the NFF leadership crisis between Chris Giwa and Amaju Pinnick or face ban on all football affairs. (NAN)
•Photo shows Giwa
Source Daily Sports
Posted August 18, 2018
You may also like...
Barca to appeal Suarez Cup red card
Nigerian drawn with Tanzania in 2019 Africa U-17...
West Ham Spank Bournemouth In Moyes’ First Match...
Undefeated Makhmudov vows to ‘destroy’ Fury, Joshua
Enyimba Crash Out Of Caf Confederation Cup
Inter Stage Impressive Revival To Sink Torino And...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,792 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,114 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,071 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,550 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,849 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,035 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,532 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,960 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)