By Daily Sports on May 13, 2018
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has launched a fierce attack on FIFA over its proposed expansion of the Club World Cup and handling of the new Nations League.
Reports this week suggested Premier League sides Manchester United and Manchester City were among seven clubs involved in a meeting over a revamped Club World Cup, the competition which in its current form features the winners of the Champions League and its equivalent in each FIFA confederation along with the host nation’s league champion.
Ceferin warned against expansion of the event due to player burnout and also condemned the reported talks being limited to big-budget clubs deemed “important”.
“About the so-called Club World Cup,” he told German magazine Kicker. “The players are at the limit. FIFA is behaving strangely here too. They are discussing with only a few European clubs. They only invite the clubs that FIFA thinks are the only important ones.
“The ECA [European Club Association] is the associations of clubs in Europe, not only seven clubs. Do you think only one club in Germany, two in Spain and two in England are important? FIFA should respect every single club.
“I cannot imagine that UEFA invites only seven associations or clubs to discuss things that affect the future of all of European football. We conduct our consultations with everyone.
“And of course the clubs are sceptical of the FIFA proposal. I know that at least three of the seven clubs that were invited do not agree with FIFA’s approach.”
The inaugural UEFA Nations League begins in September, with four qualifying places for Euro 2020 on offer.
CONCACAF, the confederation for North and Central America and the Caribbean, will run a similar tournament and FIFA held talks last month with international confederations over a global event.
Ceferin said: "We, at UEFA, had an idea about a possible Global Nations League. We first presented it to the FIFA president, then to national associations and to clubs.
“And all of a sudden FIFA comes and says they are ready to sell it, our idea, to a fund. Without any explanations! It is really a strange offer. FIFA just said that they've been offered a lot of money by some people.” (ESPN)
•Photo shows Ceferin
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 13, 2018
You may also like...
NYG 2023: Tinubu Challenges Young Talents To Compete...
Toure rubbishes reports that Didier Drogba was an...
Troost-Ekong omission from CAF XI sparks upset
We’ll Host Best Ever National Sports Festival In...
Why I won’t retire now — Wenger
Xavi Favourite To Take Over Barcelona Coaching Job...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,878 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,375 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)