By Daily Sports Nigeria on May 30, 2025
Bruno Fernandes is giving serious consideration to quitting Manchester United next week and taking up a lucrative offer to join Saudi Pro-League club Al-Hilal.
Fernandes' representatives are said to have met Al-Hilal officials in the past few days for further discussions about a move that would allow the 30-year-old to take part in the forthcoming Club World Cup.
The issue has been the topic of conversation on United's current tour of Asia.
While Fernandes has remained focused and continues to take his responsibilities as captain seriously, he has offered no guarantees about his future, which has led to some thinking he is ready to leave.
Manchester United are said to be relaxed about the situation.
While head coach Ruben Amorim has previously said he wants Fernandes – who earlier this month was crowned the club's player of the year for a joint record fourth time – to stay at Old Trafford, he also knows a rumoured £80m transfer fee might be the best way of being able to reshape his squad.
Asked about the present situation on the club's current post-season trip to Asia, Amorim said: "We talk about this many times.
"You can see by his performances. You can see by his leadership. You can see the passion he has for the game. In difficult moments Bruno is the guy who takes responsibility. He should do because he is the captain."
Fernandes is expected to be involved in United's game against Hong Kong on Friday (13:00 BST kick-off).
Al-Hilal have been keen to make a statement signing ahead of a Club World Cup campaign where they will face Real Madrid, Red Bull Salzburg and Mexican side Pachuca in the group phase.
Fernandes signed a contract extension to 2027, with the option of a further year, in August last year.
He is one of United's highest-paid players - and it is thought the Saudi offer would more than double his earnings if he chooses to accept it.
He finished clear top scorer with 19 goals in the season just ended, with many observers feeling United would have been in serious danger of getting relegated without him.
However, others, notably former skipper Roy Keane, have been critical of Fernandes, saying he is part of the problem at Old Trafford because of a perceived lack of discipline.
The Portuguese has made 290 appearances and scored 98 goals for Manchester United since his £47m move from Sporting in January 2020.
Source BBC Sports
Posted May 30, 2025
You may also like...
Flamingos, heroines Waiting To Happen? Henry Nwosu’s Current...
Lille Spank PSG to Delay Title Celebration
Bayern spank Benfica to book knockout place
US Open: Rafael Nadal breezes into fourth round;...
Decisive Day Barcelona In La Liga Title Race...
Fabregas: Finding Another Messi Is Impossible

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,788 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,425 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)