By Daily Sports Nigeria on January 18, 2023
Following his quarterfinal finish at the WTT Contender Durban in South Africa last week, Quadri Aruna will on Wednesday, January 18, return to action when he takes on Portuguese star Marcos Freitas in the first round of the WTT Contender Doha 2023 in Qatar.
Listed as the number two seed in the men’s singles behind Brazil’s Hugo Calderano, winner of the WTT Contender Durban, Aruna will have to be at his best against his familiar opponent who won their last meeting in 2018.
Aruna who remains the highest ranked African in the world following the release of the ITTF ranking on Monday is rated 14th being the position he started this year.
A determined Aruna described the experience in Durban as a good start for him following his exit from the German league to the Russian league, adding that this would boost his confidence heading the Russian last this month for his league debut in the lucrative European league.
“I think my performance was impressive because I gave my all in Durban and the two matches I played were not that easy, especially the round of 16 against the French teenager Felix Lebrun who has been beating some of the top players in the world. The wins have boosted my confidence going to Russian for my league debut. I look forward to another good performance in Doha but I must admit that there is no easy match again because everybody is at the same level regardless of the world ranking,” he said.
Aruna, semifinalist at the Star Contender Doha 2022 believes the quality of players in Doha attested to what to expect when the main draw begins at the Lusail Sports Arena as a total prize pool of $75,000 and 400 World Ranking points at the top for the winners will be up for grabs.
There is serious depth in Doha with Contender Muscat II 2022 winner South Korea’s Jang Woojin and Star Contender Doha 2022 winner Andrej Gacina of Croatia also both in the midst.
Source Sporting Sun
Posted January 18, 2023
You may also like...
Euro 2024: France wait Mbappe’s return, goals flow...
Super Falcons star Onumonu retires from football
Neymar needs competition for place says PSG coach...
NFF introduces Future Super Eagles and Future Super...
Sterling Shines As Man City Spank Watford
World Cup Winner Casillas Stable after Heart Attack...

Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Ezechukwu eyes double gold in African Champs
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,780 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,102 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,038 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,625 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,443 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,839 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,026 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,524 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,948 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,399 views)