By Daily Sports on June 22, 2016
The number of private security staff has been increased at Wimbledon this year in the wake of recent terrorist attacks abroad, organisers have said.
The measure is part of heightened security for the tennis championships, which start next week.
Armed police would again be on patrol but “deployed in a different way”, Scotland Yard said, though it did not give any details.
The Met said security at Wimbledon had been “thoroughly reviewed”.
The review followed events including the explosions at the Stade de France in November 2015 – part of the attacks on Paris that left 130 people dead.
A spokeswoman for Wimbledon organisers, the All England Club, said: “There will be more security in place than before.
“A level of armed police will be in evidence. The level of security and policing is commensurate with the threat and multi-layered, and it has been heightened as you would expect with everything that has been going on.
“We work with the Metropolitan Police all year round and with other authorities to formulate the plans, and people queuing outside Wimbledon are included in the overall plan.”
A Met Police spokesman said: “We will not discuss specific security arrangements that will form part of our policing operation.
“However, in light of events around the world, the operation has been thoroughly reviewed. A range of tactics will be put in place, some highly visible and some that the public will not notice and that includes a dedicated deployment of armed officers.
“Armed officers have supported the policing operation in previous years, but this year will see them deployed in a different way.”
The force would not give any more details on this deployment.
Other sporting events, including Euro 2016, Royal Ascot and the Tour de France, have recently reviewed their own security.
There would be “extensive searches of the person, bags and vehicles” on entry to the All England Club grounds, Wimbledon said.
Bags must be soft and no bigger than 40cm x 30cm x 30cm (16in x 12in x 12in), with banned items including anything that could be used as a weapon, like knives or corkscrews.
Wimbledon begins on Monday, with the queue for the championships opening at 08:00 BST the day before. (BBC)
•Photo shows Wimbledon policeman and crowd.
Source Daily Sports
Posted June 22, 2016
You may also like...
Juve Wants Hazard
Rashford Leads Manchester United Rout of Hapless Chelsea...
Okagbare Loses Appeal, Begins Four-Year Ban Over Banned...
MKO Abiola Stadium to Host Super Eagles’ Matches...
Osimhen eyes 60th Napoli goal in season opener...
Djokovic Faces US wildcard in Ashe night match...

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,508 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)