By Daily Sports Nigeria on February 22, 2022
Novak Djokovic played his first match of the year after being deported from Australia last month; the 6-3 6-3 victory took him just 75 minutes; the 34-year-old will now face either Alex de Minaur or Karen Khachanov in the round of 16
Novak Djokovic won his first match back on the ATP Tour, beating Lorenzo Musetti 6-3 6-3 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship.
The contest marked his competitive return to the Tour and his first match of the year, after being deported from Australia last month.
Djokovic received an extremely positive reception from the fans in the stands, with Serbian flags flying throughout and his name being chanted by the fans.
"I couldn't have asked for a better reception," Djokovic said on court after his 75-minute win.
"It's been a while since I played my last match, I couldn't have picked a better place to kick-start the season and [have] the best possible experience. Thank you very much for your support and welcoming me the way that you did."
Djokovic showed few signs of rustiness during his time on court and won 77 per cent of points behind his first serve and saved all seven of the break points Musetti created against him.
The world No 1 struck the ball cleanly from the back of the court and purposefully came into the net to finish off quick points behind his serve too.
Over the course of the two sets, Djokovic made just seven unforced errors in comparison to Musetti's 13 and the 34-year-old worked well behind his second serve too.
"All in all, it's a straight-sets win so I have to be satisfied with my tennis, especially after not playing for two-and-a-half, almost three months," the world No 1 said.
"Of course there were moments when I played great and there were moments when I made a couple of unforced errors in a row, uncharacteristically.
"It's normal to expect that during the first match after a while [out]. I'm glad that I managed to finish the job in straight sets against a very talented player."
Djokovic will now face either Alex de Minaur or Karen Khachanov in the round of 16.
Source Sky Sports
Posted February 22, 2022
You may also like...
Joshua career too smooth – Garcia
Italian Legend Cannavaro Named New Coach of China...
Golden Eaglets land in Chile 2015 U-17 World...
Adam Peaty wins 50m breaststroke to complete double-double...
Man City’s Treble Harder Than Champions League —...
Jordan Ayew Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Chelsea's 'best player' Palmer fit to face Arsenal
I’m going to school Paul – Joshua
EPL: Arteta says Chelsea ‘fully deserving’ title rivals ahead of showdown
Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,186 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,080 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,923 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,508 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,633 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,199 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,592 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)