By Daily Sports on January 24, 2022
TWO men have been arrested after objects were thrown at Antonio Rudiger in Chelsea's 2-0 win over Tottenham.
The FA launched an urgent investigation after the items - one of which appeared to be a lighter and another a bottle opener - reportedly hit the centre-back.
Attempts to identify the culprits have been made by The Metropolitan Police, who confirmed two men were taken into custody.
The incident occurred when Rudiger was near the away section - with Spurs fans becoming frustrated by the 2-0 deficit.
Rudiger alerted referee Paul Tierney to the incident but he decided not to take the matter further.
In reaction to the incident Thomas Tuchel said: “If it’s a new trend we should act together to stop it as soon as possible to protect the environment of this game and the atmosphere that’s absolutely unique in England.
“I love to have the fans close to the pitch.
“Not behind fences and not behind nets. It’s a brilliant atmosphere.
“In general, I’m not concerned. I enjoy this atmosphere, also in away stadiums, it’s brilliant.”
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "Two men have been arrested on suspicion of throwing objects from the stands during the Chelsea versus Tottenham Hotspur match at Stamford Bridge. They have been taken into custody.
"Enquiries, in conjunction with Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur FC, are ongoing to identify anyone else involved in throwing objects during the match."
And after the match a Spurs spokesperson said: "With regards the Rudiger incident, we will work with Chelsea to review the footage and take any appropriate action."
It was not the only incident of fans launching missiles onto the pitch this weekend.
There were similar scenes at Goodison Park after Everton fans reacted angrily to Aston Villa celebrations.
Matty Cash and Lucas Digne were struck by bottles after fans were annoyed by their emotional displays after Emi Buendia headed his side in front.
And earlier this month Manchester City players were given the same treatment by Arsenal supporters after Rodri celebrated a last-minute winner in a rather over-the-top fashion. (UK Sun)
•PHOTO:Rudiger
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 24, 2022
You may also like...
Ferguson hails “Special” Ronaldo
Hazard: I’ll Never Be The Same After Ankle...
Juventus Upset Korea Fans with Ronaldo No-Show
Danilo fit for Brazil, Marcello still a doubt...
AFCON: Don’t give us excuses, Ideye tells Eagles...
Atletico beat Dortmund to boost knock out hopes...

Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Onuachu, Ndidi, Yohanna lead 12 Nigerians into Europa, Conference League playoffs
Lagos revives monthly cadet table tennis tourney
Fizdale names D’Tigers roster for World Cup qualifiers
Hearn threatens to sue White over Joshua, Fury fight
UK ex-Commonwealth champion Baptiste found jailed in Morocco
Why elite athletes use supplements — Report
No Kangaroo Committee Can Save Gusau, his NFF Jesters - Give Us Emenalo
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,039 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,399 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,286 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,891 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,767 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,643 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,538 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,053 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,255 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,727 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,214 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,595 views)