By Daily Sports on January 12, 2022
Mikel Arteta has said Arsenal can still attract the best players in the world despite a five-year absence from the Champions League.
The club's last appearance came in 2017 and this campaign marks the first time in 25 years they have had no European football at all after finishing last season's Premier League in eighth place.
However, Arteta is undergoing a major rebuild having spent £140 million on five new signings last summer and is looking to make further additions this month.
Arsenal have been heavily linked with a big-money move for Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic and although Arteta refused to be drawn on specific names, the 39-year-old said they are able to compete for the hottest prospects.
"Historically this club has always been targeting the best players in the world and the best players in the world were always interested to come here and I can say that situation hasn't changed," Arteta said at a news conference on Wednesday.
"Every time I have spoken to any player, they were so willing to come. I haven't faced any other situation and that is one of our biggest powers.
"Our capacity to get the attention of people to come and join our club is something that is an advantage for us."
Arteta may have been coy on possible incomings but he sought to rule out a January departure for striker Eddie Nketiah, whose existing contract expires at the end of the season.
Nketiah has so far refused to sign a new deal with Arsenal and he has interest from Crystal Palace in addition to multiple clubs in Germany, sources have told ESPN.
Palace almost completed a deal for Nketiah in the summer but the move collapsed over personal terms and agent fees. However, coach Patrick Vieira is keen to revive talks this month.
"The situation is that Eddie is our player and Eddie is going to stay here with us," Arteta said.
Pushed on whether there was a chance Nketiah could depart, Arteta replied: "He is our player, he is under contract so he will stay with us." (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Arteta
Source Daily Sports
Posted January 12, 2022
You may also like...
Osimhen returns for Verona clash
BREAKING NEWS: Rohr picks Musa, Ikeme, Iheanacho, 22...
We use prayers, not chickens: Super Eagles supporters...
'I won't quit' - Rooney defiant after England...
Africa’s first player and solar-powered football pitch unveiled...
Stoppage-time Traore Goal Gives Wolves Win At Fulham...

Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,571 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,877 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,423 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,257 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,845 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,374 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,762 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)