Andy Murray Slumps To Opening Defeat In Melbourne Summer Series

By Daily Sports on January 4, 2022

Andy Murray endured a frustrating start to the new year as he was beaten by the world No 76, Facundo Bagnis, in the first round of the Melbourne Summer Series.

The 34-year-old produced an error-strewn display as he fell 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 to Bagnis, leaving him plenty of work to do ahead of this month’s Australian Open.

Murray had harboured hopes of making a competitive start to 2022 after reaching the final of an exhibition event in Abu Dhabi in December, where he was beaten by Andrey Rublev.

But those hopes largely evaporated in a disappointing display which left the Scot slamming his racket into his bench in frustration midway through the deciding set.

Bagnis, who has never gone beyond the third round of a grand slam tournament, took the first set but Murray responded well with a dominant second to level matters.

However, Murray was afflicted by a poor ball toss and dreadful second-serve percentage, enabling Bagnis to grab the crucial break in the fifth game of the final set before serving out to take the match.

Murray has accepted a wild card into the Australian Open, two years after indicating his appearance in Melbourne was likely to be his last due to impending hip surgery.

There was a much more positive return in Melbourne for Naomi Osaka, who said her main target for 2022 is to feel like she is “having fun” on the court following her opening win at the Melbourne Summer Set.

Playing her first match in four months, Osaka beat Alize Cornet 6-4 3-6 6-3 in the first round of the Australian Open warm-up tournament.

The four-time grand slam winner, the reigning Australian Open champion, took a break from playing after losing to Leylah Fernandez in the third round of September’s US Open.

Quoted on the WTA website after the victory over Cornet, Osaka said: “I only really have one major goal this year, and it’s completely unrelated to results and stuff like that. For me, I just want to feel like every time I step on the court I’m having fun. I can walk off the court knowing that even if I lost, I tried as hard as I could.

“Also, I have a goal in the pressroom, that I’m never going to cry again, so hopefully that works out in my favour. I’m the type of person that cared a little bit too much about the results and the ranking and stuff like that and I just need to find a way to enjoy the game again. Because that’s the reason why I was playing in the first place.”

Following her Australian Open triumph last year, Osaka withdrew from the French Open for mental health reasons after being threatened with expulsion over refusing to fulfil media duties, and then missed Wimbledon. The 24-year-old broke down in tears in Cincinnati in August during what was her first press conference since the French Open withdrawal.

Osaka represented Japan at the Tokyo Olympics in July, losing to Marketa Vondrousova in the third round, before making the US Open exit at the same stage in September. (UK Guardian)

•PHOTO: Murray

Source Daily Sports

Posted January 4, 2022


 

You may also like...
FIFA Council: Gov. Diri Congratulates Pinnick

Last-gasp Cutrone goal gives Milan win over Roma...

Rivers FA Secretary laments lack of support

'Win good, but race not won yet'

Nigerian left-back bags two assists as Arsenal win...

Osimhen Misses Penalty As Lille Stumble In Ligue...

 

Latest News Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery D’Tigress star Musa wins historic French double 2026 WTT Contender Lagos serves off Tabugbo eyes Commonwealth Games success Adeshina to headline PFL Africa Lagos debut Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,785 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,107 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,062 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,629 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,545 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,448 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,842 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,029 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,953 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,402 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media