‘110 Percent’: Anthony Joshua Wants Rematch With Usyk

By Daily Sports on September 27, 2021

 

Anthony Joshua said he was “110 percent” likely to activate a rematch clause with Oleksandr Usyk after losing his world heavyweight titles to the Ukrainian in stunning fashion in London on Saturday

Usyk gave a boxing masterclass in recording a unanimous points victory to deprive Joshua of his World Boxing Association, International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Organization belts in front of the dethroned champion’s home crowd of more than 66,000 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

His victory extended Usyk’s unbeaten professional record to 19 wins and scuppered the prospects of an all-British world heavyweight title unification bout between Joshua and Tyson Fury.

It also meant Usyk became just the third cruiserweight world champion after Evander Holyfield of the United States and Britain’s David Haye to also take a heavyweight title, with the 34-year-old achieving the feat in just his third professional contest in the heavyweight ranks.

The contract for this bout, however, contained a rematch clause.

And Joshua, who previously lost his belts when beaten by Andy Ruiz in New York in June 2019 before regaining the titles in a rematch in Saudi Arabia six months later, is determined to face Usyk again.

“A hundred percent, 110 percent,” he told a post-fight press conference. “I’m ready to get back to training.

“There’s an old saying ‘If you want to go down as a great fighter, don’t fight southpaws’, especially good ones. He (Usyk) is a good fighter.”

Joshua suffered a badly swollen right eye which required medical attention in a fight where only the bell appeared to save him from a last-round knockout.

“I couldn’t see in the ninth round,” explained Joshua. “My eye was shut, but it was a good experience, because in adversity, you’ve just got to learn to control yourself… it’s the first time it’s happened in a fight.”

Joshua, sounding remarkably upbeat despite a convincing loss, insisted: “I’m a different kind of animal. I’m not a sulker, this is a blessed opportunity to be able to fight for the heavyweight championship of the world.

“Straight away I’ve already been watching the fight and figuring out what I could have done better.”

Joshua’s defeat put paid to a fight anytime soon with Fury, who defends his World Boxing Council heavyweight title against Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas next month — the third time the pair have met after a split-decision draw and a win for Fury.

Joshua, however, insisted: “I’ll fight Tyson Fury, Wilder, without the belts. It’s great, it’s legacy but with or without the belts I’ll fight whoever.” (AFP)

•PHOTO: Anthony Joshua 

Source Daily Sports

Posted September 27, 2021


 

You may also like...
Arsenal Chairman Retires

Tyson Fury retires from boxing

Victor Moses dubs 2017 a great year

I proved that I can still play competitive...

Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs

Nigeria ranks fourth in AFCON tickets purchase

 

Latest News Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict Athletes protest as Ogun award N474m for NSF medallists Ajagba eyes tougher fights after knocking Martin out Eagles to face Jordan in March friendly Senegal coach hails Falconets strength in W’Cup qualifier defeat

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (63,563 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,870 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,781 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,419 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,334 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,253 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,121 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,669 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,839 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,369 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,229 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media