Three Police Officers Face Misconduct Hearings Over Williams Stop And Search

By Daily Sports on July 2, 2021

Three Metropolitan Police officers will face misconduct hearings over the stop and search of British athlete Bianca Williams and her partner.

Ms Williams and Ricardo dos Santos, whose baby son was in the car, say they were racially profiled when they were stopped in Maida Vale, in July 2020.

The couple were handcuffed and separated from their son.

Three officers are under investigation for gross misconduct, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said.

The three officers were already under investigation for a range of potential breaches of police protocol, including excessive use of force. Three other police officers are also being investigated over the incident.

The Met referred itself to the IOPC after footage of the stop was widely shared, although two reviews by the force's directorate of professional standards have concluded there was no misconduct.

The video was originally posted online by former Olympic champion sprinter, Linford Christie, who trains Ms Williams and Mr dos Santos.

Met Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick has previously apologised for the "distress" caused by the stop.

An IOPC spokesman said: "Three MPS officers are now subject to a gross misconduct investigation for potential breaches of police standards of professional behaviour.

"Our investigatory work has now concluded and preparation of the final report is under way."

Once the report is published, the Met Police will have 28 days to respond before any sanctions are set.

The Met said it "continues to fully co-operate with the IOPC investigation".

"No officer is suspended or subject to restricted duties," the force said in a statement.

Both athletes are preparing for the Tokyo Olympics.(BBC)

PHOTO: Bianca Williams

Source Daily Sports

Posted July 2, 2021


 

You may also like...
Obiri and TA LOU dominate in Asaba, Samaai...

Spurs Collapse Against West Ham Changed Mindset —...

Leicester begins title defense at Hull

Vardy Set For Hernia Operation

Sajo Dandija Replaces Bukola Olopade As NNL CEO...

Boxer held over alleged sex assault in the...

 

Latest News Edo Queens get home support ahead CAF qualifiers Nigerian Triathlon Union fixes Sept 30 for election Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces Ronaldo hits 977 career goals as Al Nassr thrash Al Riyadh 4-0 Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League Fury calls Joshua coward, casts doubts on super-fight My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes Olayinka ready for Saudi journey Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund Missing ’96 AFCON, CAF ban cost Eagles trophies – Okocha D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (64,041 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,402 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,892 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,769 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,645 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,055 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,259 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,730 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,219 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,602 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media