By Daily sports on April 27, 2021
Eric Bailly has signed a four-year contract extension at Manchester United, the club confirmed on Monday.
The 27-year-old had been keen to seek assurances from manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer about playing time and sources told ESPN that a breakthrough in negotiations was made last week.
“I’m very happy,” Bailly said. “This decision is something I didn’t have to think about, I love this club and I love playing for Manchester United. I’m happy and so are my family, everything is good. Now the moment with my injury has passed and I’m fit and feel good, and that’s it. A new contract is like a new challenge and I'm ready for this.
“I hope I can be ready and I don’t get any injuries and to be strong and finish the season well. I hope to win the Europa League this season. We will have more challenges next season – hopefully the Champions League – and, for me, my dream is to win the Premier League, that’s my big dream.”
Bailly, a £30 million signing from Villarreal in 2016, was due to enter the final year of his contract this summer. His situation had alerted clubs in Italy and Spain ahead of the transfer window. The centre-back is keen to play more regularly after being restricted to just eight Premier League appearances this season and 15 in all competitions.
Solskjaer’s preferred pairing at the back is Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof, but sources have told ESPN Bailly is satisfied he will get opportunities if he stays fit.
“I am pleased that Eric has signed this new contract. He is still learning and improving all of the time under the coaches here,” Solskjaer said.
“Eric has improved his robustness since my time as manager and he will continue to play a significant part in the squad.
“He possesses fantastic speed, timing of tackle and has that aggression which, of course, you need as a centre-back. He is a popular member of the squad and we look forward to continuing to work with him going forward.”
The club have had concerns about Bailly’s injury record after making just 37 Premier League appearances since the start of the 2017-18 season. He tested positive for coronavirus while on international duty with the Ivory Coast and after returning to training last week was an unused substitute for the 0-0 draw with Leeds United on Sunday.
United allowed Marcos Rojo join Boca Juniors in January, but Solskjaer still has five centre-backs in his first-team squad. (ESPN)
•PHOTO: Eric Bailly
Source Daily sports
Posted April 27, 2021
You may also like...
FIFA World Cup 2022 European playoffs: Teams, schedule,...
Giroud Unhappy With Lack Of Playing Time At...
U-18 Afrobasket: Junior D’Tigress battle Mali for gold...
Infantino Reveals How Nigeria Can Host FIFA Competitions...
Man United's Ralf Rangnick Admits Some Players Are...
Relief for Finidi as Rivers end five-game winless...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,673 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)