Man City Game At Everton Off Over Covid-19

By Daily sports on December 29, 2020

Manchester City’s Premier League match at Everton on Monday was postponed four hours before kick-off because of an outbreak of coronavirus at the club.

The latest tests have returned more positive results, in addition to those of Gabriel Jesus, Kyle Walker and two staff members revealed on 25 December.

The City training ground will be closed for an “indeterminate period”.

City cited “a risk the virus could spread” among the squad with the “security of the bubble compromised”.

Everton said in a statement on Monday that they would request “full disclosure” of all the information Manchester City provided to the Premier League in order to gain a clear picture as to why the match was called off at such short notice.

The postponement came on a day that saw a number of English Football League matches called off because of Covid-19.

In League One, Rochdale announced their next two fixtures would be postponed, while Doncaster confirmed their next three games had been postponed.

League Two side Morecambe said their next two matches had been called off too.

Manchester City’s trip to Everton is the second Premier League match to be called off because of coronavirus since the top flight’s resumption in June. Newcastle’s match at Aston Villa, scheduled for early December, was also postponed.

A City statement said: “After the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases, in addition to the four already reported on Christmas Day.

“Based on strong medical advice the Premier League, in consultation with both clubs, have decided to postpone the fixture.”

Everton said in a statement: “Our players were prepared for the game, as were both the team staff and everyone at Goodison. Match day is the most important date in our calendar. And this was a big one.

“While Everton will always have public safety uppermost, we will be requesting full disclosure of all the information that Manchester City provided to the Premier League so the club can be clear on why this decision was taken.”

The Premier League said the rise in cases at City “created uncertainty” and that the competition's board “received medical advice that the match should be postponed”.

A league statement continued: “The board agreed to rearrange the game as a precaution, and further testing will now take place tomorrow [Tuesday].

“The decision has been taken with the health of players and staff the priority.

“The Premier League continues to have full confidence in its protocols and rules, and the way in which all clubs are implementing them.”

City are scheduled to play at Chelsea on Sunday, 3 January, followed by their Carabao Cup semi-final at Manchester United on Wednesday, 6 January.

The club said their squad and associated bubble will have testing before a decision is made whether to resume training. (BBC)

•PHOTO: Manchester City said on Christmas Day that Kyle Walker and Gabriel Jesus had tested positive for coronavirus

Source Daily sports

Posted December 29, 2020


 

You may also like...
Arsenal’re just Ozil, Sanchez –Adebayor

Lewandoski Ruled Out Of PSG Clash

Bayern’s Hernandez Given Until 28 October To Enter...

Mbachu predicts win for Flamingoes

Sanusi, Oneya on duty as club continental battles...

CSED Seminar for Games Masters and Mistresses Holds...

 

Latest News Basketball: MFM, First Bank maintain league dominance Haye backs Itauma to beat Joshua, Fury NPFL woos NTA after N6bn StarTimes deal collapse Okonkwo’s WNBA hardship contract ends Lagos aims for dominance as youth games begins NSC confirms 6,382-man contingent for Youth Games Anambra First Lady Bids Farewell To Team Anambra, Charges Them To Surpass Records At 2025 NYG In Asaba Amaechi targets consistency at World Champs NPFL to probe more players over betting allegations Super Eagles’ Nwabali suffers injury ahead of World Cup qualifiers Over 6,300 athletes set for ninth national youth games in Delta Rasheedat Ajibade signs for Paris Saint-Germain until 2027

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (56,321 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (47,492 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (45,475 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (45,077 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (45,062 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (45,058 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (44,875 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (44,421 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (43,534 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (42,135 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (40,574 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (39,995 views)

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media