By Daily Sports on September 2, 2019
The troubles in women’s football in Zimbabwe continued as the national team refused to play the second leg of their second-round Olympic qualifier against Zambia in Harare on Sunday.
The players refused to fulfil the fixture as they are owed allowances from last month’s Cosafa Cup in South Africa.
Four clubs withdrew their players from camp late on Saturday night, and the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) tried to field a club side in place of the national team, but the plan failed.
Zimbabwe lost the first leg 5-0 after travelling to Lusaka by road without training for the match, and after that defeat Mighty Warriors coach Sithethelelwe Sibanda said “our country is our best enemy in terms of not affording the team time to train.”
Zambia travelled for Sunday’s game with a small group of fans and warmed up at an empty National Sports Stadium before the match was officially called off 30 minutes before kick-off.
“It’s very disheartening as Zimbabwe are our icons, we believed we can learn a lot from Zimbabwe,” said Zambia’s head of delegation Rix Mweemba.
Zifa blames the players for breach of contract, and asked Fifa for a postponement of the match to Monday morning, but Zambia say that they will be travelling back home then.
“We agreed with the clubs that we would pay the players $150 each for the two games, but unfortunately this agreement has been breached,” said Zifa spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela.
Zimbabwe’s women qualified for the 2016 Olympics, but have often been given inferior treatment to the men’s team. (BBC)
•Photo shows a small group of visiting Zambia fans at a deserted National Sports Stadium in Harare where the Olympic qualifier was abandoned after Zimbabwe's women's team refused to play
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 2, 2019
You may also like...
WAFCON 2022: Super Falcons Train Tonight In Mohammedia...
Man City Season A Success Despite Champions League...
Mayweather Ready To Come Out Of Retirement
Ex-Aston Villa and Bolton defender Jlloyd Samuel dies...
Finnish club appeal Salami 4-match ban
Nigeria, Senegal meet in heavyweight clash in London...

NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Lookman battles Onyedika in UCL knockout play-off
Osimhen’s Galatasaray thrash Juve 5-2 in UCL first leg playoff
Para-badminton star Bolaji emerges World No. 1 after Bahrain tourney
Falcons to face Cameroon in pre-WAFCON friendlies
Ondo athletes eye Niger Delta Games top spot
Onyekwere-Lyons eyes double Commonwealth Games glory
Priestly Ordination: Igbawase Irotier Family Now Has A Priest
W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,567 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,873 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,786 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,421 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,256 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,124 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,670 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,842 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,371 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,761 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,231 views)