By Daily Sports on February 26, 2019
Ex- Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney says he would have voted for Cristiano Ronaldo to win the Ballon d’Or rather than Luka Modric.
Ronaldo was beaten into second place by Modric at last year’s ceremony, the Portugal superstar missing the chance to win the award for the sixth time.
The 33-year-old ended Ronaldo and Lionel Messi’s duopoly over the accolade, with both men sharing the award equally over the previous decade.
Ronaldo later insisted he deserved to take the prize once more, but Modric triumphed after starring in Croatia’s run to the final of the 2018 World Cup.
Modric played alongside Ronaldo – who joined Juventus last summer – as Real Madrid won the Champions League for the third year in a row by downing Liverpool in the final.
But Rooney says his former Man United team-mate would have had his vote for the Ballon d’Or over Modric.
“Luka Modric is a fantastic player,” Rooney told DAZN. “I think his passing is great and the way he moves with the ball.
“Actually he doesn’t look that quick to the eye but when you play against him he glides past players. He’s a fantastic player, he’s had a great career.
“I don’t think he’s the best player in the world but in terms of the year is he worthy of it? Of course, he is. He had a great year with Real Madrid and obviously had a great run as captain with Croatia.
“I think if it was player-voted I would have voted for Ronaldo this year, but taking nothing away from Luka Modric. He won it so he deserves it.”
Rooney came up against Modric during the midfielder’s time at Tottenham, but the former United striker says the Croatia star did not carry a similar aura to some of his peers.
“He wasn’t a midfield player who before the game you would think: ‘oh no, we’re playing against Luka Modric’,” Rooney added.
“He’s not like a Patrick Vieira-style player or Roy Keane where he’s commanding, he’s a different kind of player.
“But his ability, his passing, he can shoot with both feet. As I said before, he takes the ball and glides, creates opportunities, so he’s a fantastic player.” (Goal)
•Photo shows Cristiano Ronaldo
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 26, 2019
You may also like...
Leicesier City final game ticket to sell for...
Anambra School Sports Festival: Semi Finalists Emerge In...
Nigeria fields 358 in 25 sports for African...
Eagles’ll honour W/Cup qualifier in Zambia – NFF...
Ethiopian Haji set to defend Okpekpe title
Six Positive Coronavirus Tests In Premier League

Edo Queens get home support ahead CAF qualifiers
Nigerian Triathlon Union fixes Sept 30 for election
Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces
Ronaldo hits 977 career goals as Al Nassr thrash Al Riyadh 4-0
Racist abuse spurred Suzuki as Japan goalkeeper set for Premier League
Fury calls Joshua coward, casts doubts on super-fight
My basketball dream ended after visa denial — Ex-BBNaija star Hermes
Olayinka ready for Saudi journey
Why NSC picked Lagos to host intermediate games – DG
EFCC, ICPC summon NFF officials over N12bn FG fund
D’Tigress intensify World Cup prep in Spain
Rangers International going, going . . . (64,041 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,402 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,288 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,892 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,769 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,645 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,540 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (52,055 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,259 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,730 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (48,219 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,602 views)