By Daily Sports on February 26, 2019
Roger Federer began his latest quest for a 100th ATP title with a battling 6-4 3-6 6-1 win over Philipp Kohlschreiber in the first round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships on Monday.
Competing for the first time since his fourth round defeat by Stefanos Tsitsipas at last month’s Australian Open, world No 7 Federer overcame a blip midway through his match before rallying to beat Kohlschreiber.
Despite enjoying a 13-0 head-to-head record against Kohlschreiber coming into the contest, Federer said his mindset ahead of the deciding third set was to somehow avoid an early defeat against the German.
“Just somehow get through. Somehow try not to lose,” the 37-year-old said.
“I’m very pleased I was able to find a way. I actually played a really good third set.”
The 20-times Grand Slam champion, who has been stuck on 99 titles since triumphing at his hometown Basle tournament last October, next faces Fernando Verdasco after the world number 32 got past Italian qualifier Thomas Fabbiano 3-6 6-3 6-2.
“I think he (Verdasco) has got one of those wonderful forehands on tour. We’ve seen the great shot-making he has been able to produce over the course of his career,” Federer added.
“I’m happy he’s still going. He’s a good player. He can definitely peak against the top guys. That’s why he’s still playing, for those kinds of matches, so I have to be careful.”
The second seeded Swiss has never lost to Verdasco in six meetings, last beating the 35-year-old Spaniard in Dubai en route to the title four years ago. (SuperSport)
•Photo shows Roger Federer
Source Daily Sports
Posted February 26, 2019
You may also like...
Salah becomes Liverpool’s all-time EPL top scorer
Echiejile-backed Pearlmag FC soldier on in Edo FA...
Oshoala Academy empowers girls
Djokovic Disqualified From US Open
A Peep into Today’s NFF and Its Activities...
Napoli Loss can Spur Liverpool to Victory against...

Plymouth striker Oseni shocked by Nigeria call-up
African athletes possess NFL traits in abundance — Umenyiora
AFCON 2027: Udeze warns Chelle not to underestimate opponents
Joshua, Fury in contract stalemate
Agunbiade emerges Nigeria’s lone survivor at WTT Lagos
Nigeria call-up boosted my confidence – Alebiosu
First Eagles invite thrills Rangers’ Oputa
270 athletes begin journey to stardom in Edo
Itauma unfazed by Usyk threat
Arsenal win English Premier League after Man City draw at Bournemouth
AFCON qualifiers: Nigeria face Madagascar, Tanzania, G’Bissau
FIFA WORLD CUP 2026: Dreaming of Olise, Musiala, Eze, Saka - Priceless Jewels Nigeria Lost to Treachery
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,796 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,116 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,072 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,636 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,551 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,455 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,288 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,850 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,036 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,534 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,964 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,406 views)