By Daily Sports on September 10, 2018
At least one person has been killed and nearly 40 injured in a stampede at a Madagascar football stadium.
The incident occurred just before the start of Madagascar's match against Senegal in the qualifying round of the Africa Cup of Nations, local media said.
Thousands of spectators were still trying to get into the stadium through the only entrance.
Two of those hurt are in a critical condition in the capital, Antananarivo.
Many people had been queuing up since the early hours of the morning for a 14:30 (12:30 GMT) kick-off at the Stade Municipal de Mahamasina.
French radio station RFI reported there was a rush to enter the stadium when the gates were opened.
"We were waiting in the queue from six o'clock in the morning. We were metres from the gate when the stampede took place. I was trampled on the back, but my backpack cushioned the impact," Rivo Raberisaona told the AFP news agency.
"I do not understand why there was only one gate open into the stadium when it's such a big match," said Henintsoa Mialy Harizafy, whose uncle was injured in the stampede.
The game, featuring stars such as Liverpool forward Sadio Mané, was played as planned in front of a capacity crowd and ended in a 2-2 draw.
Stampedes at stadiums in Africa occur on a regular basis, often due to poor crowd control in over-crowded stadiums. (BBC)
•Photo shows the Madagascar national stadium.
Source Daily Sports
Posted September 10, 2018
You may also like...
Injured Ibrahimovic Could Miss United Clash
Matip Hands Liverpool Boost Ahead Of Man United...
NFF blasts Dessers, faults Ekong after Eagles’ draw...
NPFL quartet in fierce relegation battles
Basketball: Edogi 'beyond blessed' to represent Nigeria internationally...
THE CLASSIC GAMES 2018 shifted to first quarter...

Gala fans to honour Osimhen’s late mother
Eagles to play Iran, Jordan in four-nation tourney
First Falcons call-up thrills Erhabor
Ekezie junior claims Defensive MVP award at All-Star camp
Niger-Delta Games: Sports, instrument of unity, empowerment — Tinubu
Draws hold as Niger Delta Games begin Friday
NFF to review Chelle’s $130k request, other demands
Usman to retire after becoming two-division champ
NPFL: Kwara United slams post-match violence after Rivers United clash
Widow, late Nigerian boxer’s family clash over estate
Falcons recall Okobi-Okeoghene, Monday for Cameroon friendlies
Lagos SWAN Chairman, Amb. Olatutu Oladunni, and EXCO Members Extend Ramadan and Lenten Greetings to Muslim and Christian Faithful Across Lagos
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,572 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,880 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,787 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,424 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,337 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,258 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,127 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,672 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,846 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,376 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,763 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,233 views)