Leconte calls for French revolution to end Roland Garros drought

By Daily Sports on May 24, 2018

Views: 569

When Yannick Noah sparked joyous celebrations around France in 1983 by hoisting the Musketeers’ Cup, no one in the country would have guessed that the wait to see the next home-grown men’s champion would last at least another 35 years.

As far as Henri Leconte, the last Frenchman to contest a Roland Garros final way back in 1988, is concerned, the chances of that barren run ending in 2018 is almost zero and he planted the blame on the French Tennis Federation (FFT).

During much of the last two decades, there were numerous French men populating the top 100 of the ATP rankings.

But barely any of them came close to winning one of the four majors — with Arnaud Clement (2001 Australian Open) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008 Australian Open) being the only ones to reach a major final since 1998.

“I think the French Federation made a mistake going for quantity rather than quality,” Leconte, one of the most flamboyant players of his era, told Reuters.

“The other thing is that I think they need to go and watch what they are doing in Australia, Russia, America or the Czech Republic.

“We think we are the best in the world. We still have the best organisation but we are not the best in the world.

“We are not doing the right things, we are going in the wrong direction. Even in the clubs, things are not going well.”

The situation is so bad now, Leconte did not even hold out much hope of a Frenchman reaching the second week of the May 27-June 10 tournament.

Former French number one Tsonga, who reached the last four twice at Roland Garros, has been ruled out injured and the current number one, Lucas Pouille, has not won back-to-back claycourt matches on the ATP Tour this season.

“The best player we have now is maybe Richard Gasquet if he is fit. We would be very lucky if we have a French player in the second week,” Leconte, who lost to Mats Wilander in the 1988 final, said.

Since an injury-prone Gasquet has won only one match on red dirt in his last three tournaments, things are certainly looking bleak.

Leconte, who will commentate on Eurosport during the French Open, believes the local players do not put in the effort required, physically or mentally, to compete with the likes of 10-times champion Rafael Nadal.

“They are afraid. They don’t train as much on clay as much as we used to. They are afraid to play at the French Open. They are always coming with an excuse, saying ‘oh I have a bad back or elbow’,” Leconte explained.

“I think it’s sad because they have the potential to do well on clay. But I think the pressure from the fans and press gets to them. It gets worse and worse.

“I hope Pouille does well at the French Open and does well with the draw but he will have to cross his fingers.

“Besides Pouille, it’s the first French Open where we are not going to have many French players seeded. If we are lucky to have a player in the second week that will be great.”

Gael Monfils might have harboured hopes of going deep into the tournament, just like he did in 2008 when he made it to the last four. But he is just back from a two-month injury layoff and he has yet to reach his best level.

“Right now it’s tough mentally,” said Monfils.

At last year’s U.S. Open, FFT president Bernard Giudicelli had told Reuters it was time for the French to “stop being losers”.

That time has not come yet. (Reuters)

•Photo shows Leconte

Source Daily Sports

Posted May 24, 2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon Share on Google+


 

You may also like...
Adepoju joins Raul, Xavi, David Villa as La...

Wayne Rooney: My overhead kick goal was better...

Sharapova bounces back in style

Joshua’ll not fight Wladimir Klitschko in 2016

BREAKING NEWS: Leicester capture Ahmed Musa

Olukoya receives F.A Cup Champions

 

Latest News Eagles round off training, set for Bafana Bafana Governor Okowa boost Eagles with 25,000 dollars per goal against South Africa Eagles ready to beat South Africa, says Chukwu Mourinho better than Guardiola, says Maradona Chukwueze eyes Nigeria debut against South Africa Fulham sack Slavisa Jokanovic and appoint Claudio Ranieri FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup: Ghana spank hosts Uruguay Kante turned down offshore payments from Chelsea Germany’s belief in young players bearing fruit in England’s stars Sancho and Neilson Ibrahimovic wins Major League Soccer's goal of season WADA to conduct further investigations into bullying allegations Kevin Durant leads Warriors past Hawks 110-103

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (44,587 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (36,660 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (35,436 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (34,590 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (33,840 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (33,576 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (32,775 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (32,671 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (32,528 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (31,655 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (29,738 views) World Cup Friendlies: Eagles Beware! (28,972 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (267) Basketball (130) Boxing (518) Columnists (354) Euro Soccer Update (3503) Fans Assembly (3) From the Grassroots (44) Golf (67) Interviews (14) Live Commentary (3) News (4464) NPL Glo Premier League (959) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (5) Tennis (479)

 

 

Classic games

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media