By Daily Sports on April 25, 2018
A 53-year-old man is in a critical condition after he was attacked outside Anfield before Liverpool’s Champions League semi-final match with Roma.
Two men, who are aged 25 and 26, and come from Rome, have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
The victim, believed to be a Liverpool fan, suffered a head injury and is being treated in hospital, police said.
In a statement Liverpool said it was “shocked and appalled” and would be offering the victim “our full support”.
The attack happened outside the Albert pub in Walton Breck Road at about 19:35 BST.
Det Insp Paul Speight of Merseyside Police said: “Witnesses report that the victim was hit with a belt and then fell to the ground.
“His condition is currently described as critical and his next of kin have been informed.”
There were clashes between Liverpool and Roma supporters shortly before kick-off.
About 80 Roma fans are thought to have used a side road to reach an area where Liverpool supporters had gathered.
One supporter was seen motionless on the road and BBC Sport footage showed another fan carrying a hammer.
Seven men, aged between 20 and 43, have been arrested for offences including affray, assault, possession of offensive weapons and criminal damage.
Ch Supt Dave Charnock said fans from both sides had been “involved in isolated pockets of disorder”.
He said detectives were also investigating the use of flares outside Anfield stadium prior to the game.
“A number of those in the crowd that had gathered to greet the Liverpool team coach were in possession of flares and work is ongoing to identify those responsible and to establish if offences have been committed”.
Trouble broke out behind the Kop End, with reports of Roma supporters attacking home fans.
BBC Sport news correspondent David Ornstein said the pre-match trouble started when a “group of Roma fans arrived via Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, many using belts”.
He said a Liverpool fan was knocked to the floor and received lengthy medical treatment.
He added that there were “skirmishes, projectiles” and at least one person had a hammer.
Sunday Times football correspondent Jonathan Northcroft tweeted that the “attack was sudden”, adding that the “Roma group were chased down the street before police arrived”.
Police are appealing for anyone with video footage or information to contact them.
There was an increased police presence around the stadium after Manchester City's team bus was attacked before their Champions League quarter-final with Liverpool earlier this month.
Liverpool were charged by European football’s governing body UEFA for throwing cans, bottles and flares at the bus.
Roma supporters have been involved in violent attacks against English fans before – several Tottenham supporters were injured in Rome in 2012. (BBC)
•Photo shows an officer of the law gathering evidence at the crime scene
Source Daily Sports
Posted April 25, 2018
You may also like...
Arteta Happy With Arsenal Transfer Dealings
2015/2016 UEFA Champions League MATCHDAY 5 preview
Kvitova: Tennis star injured in robbery in her...
Quadri remains 25th in ITTF World Ranking
Cavani Wahala For Brighton Today At Old Trafford...
Christensen not for sale but Cahill could leave...

Nobody'll Stop Me From Contesting 2027 Election, Obi Vows -Even If It Holds in Their Bedroom -Assures Youths Of Accountability In Governance
FIFA Monday meeting to determine Eagles’ World Cup fate
Adesanya keen to prove GOAT status
Davis Cup: Ochei sparks Nigeria’s tennis revival
56 grassroots clubs battle for Taiwo Afolabi Cup
ICYMI: CAF reaffirms Morocco as host of WAFCON 2026, rejects postponement talk
PHOTOS: Kenya’s Ezra Kering wins 2026 Lagos city marathon
Chukwuemka prefers Austria to Nigeria
Enekwechi throws season best, Okezie finishes second in Serbia
Ogazi wins SEC Runner of the Week
Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro
West Ham plot Chukwueze summer hijack
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,556 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,866 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,777 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,417 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,331 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,249 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,117 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,667 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,836 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,367 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,759 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,222 views)