UEFA Opens Disciplinary Probe Into Super League Against Real, Barca and Juve

By Daily sports on May 13, 2021

Views: 389

UEFA on Wednesday initiated disciplinary proceedings against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus, the three clubs yet to renounce the aborted European Super League project.

European football’s governing body has appointed disciplinary inspectors to conduct an investigation regarding a potential violation of UEFA rules by the clubs “in connection with the so-called ‘Super League’ project”, it announced.

“Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course.”

UEFA last week said it would take “appropriate action” against the three clubs who still support the proposed Super League, a competition that would guarantee its founding members involvement every season, instead of having to qualify.

It did not specify the violations that may have been committed, although its statutes prohibit “combinations or alliances” between clubs without the body’s permission.

The maximum punishment under UEFA’s disciplinary pathway is a two-year ban from European competition, while club officials could be banned from any football-related activity.

However, UEFA’s options are clouded by a ruling from a commercial court in Madrid on April 20.

The court banned UEFA and FIFA from making any moves to block a Super League or taking any disciplinary measures against the clubs, players or officials involved.

It is also unclear what penalties the clubs that have withdrawn may owe to the remaining clubs for breaking their agreement to join the Super League.

The Super League was announced on April 18 but two days later it collapsed as the six Premier League clubs withdrew after angry protests from supporters and under pressure from the British government.

Nine of the original 12 clubs have now dropped out.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan were on Friday given a financial penalty by UEFA for their involvement.

They committed to taking “all steps within their power” to end their involvement in the breakaway league and agreed to participate in UEFA competitions for which they qualify. They also agreed to pay fines of 100 million euros ($121 million) if they ever seek to play in an “unauthorised” competition.

In response, Real, Barca and Juventus continued to defend the Super League proposal and condemned what it termed “threats” from UEFA.

The clubs issued a joint statement that said “the founding clubs have suffered, and continue to suffer, unacceptable third-party pressures (and) threats.”

“This is intolerable under the rule of law,” they added.

The trio said the Super League had been launched “with the aim of providing solutions to the current unsustainable situation in the football industry”. (AFP)

•PHOTO:  UEFA President, Alexander Ceferin

Source Daily sports

Posted May 13, 2021


 

You may also like...
Ronaldo eyes seven children for seven Ballons d’or...

Danny Garcia retaliates Brandon Rios defeat

Gerrard’s Rangers beat Celtic to level on points...

Villarreal Draw In Emery Bow, Betis’ Pellegrini Starts...

Tornadoes striker Agba hooked!

CHAN Semi-Final: Eagles are beatable, says Sudan coach...

 

Latest News Modric, Perisic Rue Another Poor Croatia Performance After Draw With Czech Eriksen Discharged From Hospital Okagbare Dazzles In Olympics Trials, Smashes Records In Blistering Run Osaka Withdraws From Wimbledon, Eyes Tokyo Olympics Euro 2020: Netherlands See Off David Alaba’s Austria To Book Place In Last 16 Tottenham End Talks With Fonseca, Linked With Gattuso Man Utd Make Cash Offer For Varane Uefa Reminds Teams Of Sponsorship Obligations De Bruyne Leads Belgium To Comeback Win Over Denmark Neymar To Miss Tokyo Olympics Tearful Ramos Says He Wanted To Stay At Real Madrid Parma Resign Buffon 20 Years After He Left The Club For Juventus

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (48,685 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (40,024 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (38,533 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (38,437 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (38,166 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (37,822 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (37,540 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (36,744 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (36,453 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (35,488 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (33,703 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (33,126 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (355) Basketball (230) Boxing (654) Columnists (628) Euro Soccer Update (11302) Fans Assembly (5) From the Grassroots (64) Golf (99) Interviews (16) Live Commentary (6) News (7153) NPL Glo Premier League (1270) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (9) Tennis (777)

 

 

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media