Fury-Joshua Close To Deal, Fury Promoter Says

By Daily sports on February 27, 2021

Views: 746

Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are close to agreeing a deal for their world heavyweight title unification fight, Fury's co-promoter Frank Warren has told ESPN.

Fury told ESPN on Wednesday that the fight with Joshua was no closer to being finalised but Warren eased concerns around the two English rivals meeting this year for all four major titles.

"The fight is very close to being done now," Warren told ESPN. "It's all COVID-19 related but I think it will go on some time in June, latest July. It's going to be a two-fight deal, and it depends what happens in the first fight and agreement of all parties as to where and what happens after that."

IBF, WBA and WBO champion Joshua (24-1, 22 KOs), 31, and WBC champion Fury (30-0-1, 21 KOs), 32, who has not fought since stopping Deontay Wilder in February 2020, agreed to fight each other in June last year, but no date or venue has been announced yet.

Obstacles such as restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, rival broadcasters, Wilder's claim Fury contractually owes him a rematch and Joshua's mandatory defence against Oleksandr Usyk will not stop the fight from happening next according to Warren, Fury's other co-promoter Bob Arum and Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn.

However, Fury told ESPN earlier this week: "They've had a full year to make something happen, and it hasn't happened as of yet. We're no further forward today than we were a year ago. The way [COVID-19] is at the moment, I don't think [it has] got much to do with the fighters. It's to do with the venue, date, place, site fees. It's to do with everything but the fight itself."

Warren also said the coronavirus pandemic is determining where the fight will be staged, as capacity crowds at outdoor venues in London like the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and Wembley Stadium will not be allowed this summer.

Fans could be allowed back at sports events in the United Kingdom from May, according the British government earlier this week, but Warren says that will not change the likely venue for Fury-Joshua with Las Vegas and Saudi Arabia the leading contenders to host the megafight.

"There are a number of territories that want to put it on but COVID is in their areas now," Warren added.

"But I still don't think it will happen in the UK, it will go where the most money will be made. It's a big fight and they need to make the most money from it because the loser could be finished."

Joshua, who impressively knocked out Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev in December, also said this week an announcement is getting closer.

Warren's promotional company Queensberry Promotions will stage a card on Saturday despite the main event falling through after Leon Woodstock, who was due to challenge British super-featherweight champion Anthony Cacace, tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.

Warren also told ESPN he is working on making a heavyweight clash happen between England's Joe Joyce and Ukraine's Usyk. (ESPN)

•PHOTO: Tyson Fury 

Source Daily sports

Posted February 27, 2021


 

You may also like...
Club Owners Preach Fair-Play •Name Delegation To Iorfa’s...

Nigerian-born DE Ade Aruna’s tough journey to join...

AC Milan Table Tomori Long-term Contract Offer

Djokovic Takes Federer’s World No 1 Record, Eyes...

AC Milan striker Higuain fit to face parent...

Rudiger Slams ‘Nonsense’ Rumours Over Lampard Sacking

 

Latest News Nigerian Wonderkid That Europe’s Top Clubs Are Queuing Up To Sign Chelsea Seek To Derail Man City Quadruple Bid As Fans Return Man United Cruise Into Europa League Semis Vandrezzer FC Exits Nigeria National League, Accuses NNL Board Of Sabotage Arsenal Thrash Slavia Prague To Reach Europa Semis Liverpool Make Sensational Move For Luis Suarez Moses Simon Constructs Road And Drainage System In Benue COVID-19 Could Force Olympics Cancellation, Says Top Japanese Politician Aubameyang Hospitalised With Malaria Pique Escapes Punishment For Ref Comments Mourinho Not Ready To Discuss Spurs’ Failings AC Milan Table Tomori Long-term Contract Offer

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (48,193 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (39,712 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (38,128 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (38,105 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (37,827 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (37,257 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (37,141 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (36,076 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (36,061 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (35,220 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (33,359 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (32,821 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (348) Basketball (223) Boxing (642) Columnists (620) Euro Soccer Update (10697) Fans Assembly (4) From the Grassroots (64) Golf (98) Interviews (16) Live Commentary (4) News (7040) NPL Glo Premier League (1257) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (9) Tennis (736)

 

 

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media