NFF President Pinnick, 4 Others Discharged, Acquitted On Alleged $8.4m, N4b Corruption Charges

By Obaseki Anthony on November 6, 2019

Views: 370

Chieftains of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), including its President, Mr. Amaju Melvin Pinnick, have been discharged and acquitted on all counts of alleged corruption charges in a case brought by the defunct Special Presidential Investigation Panel (SPIP).

The panel, headed by Okon Obono-Obla who is now on the run to avoid prosecution by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Related Offences Commission, ICPC had filed a 16 –count charge against Pinnick, Seyi Akinwunmi (1st Vice President), Shehu Dikko (2nd Vice President), Mohammed Sanusi (General Secretary) and Ahmed Yusuf (Executive Committee member) with wild claims of alleged corruption against the men, and even subjected them to extensive media trial at home and abroad.

Among the charges were misappropriation of the sums of $8.4 million and N4 billion, conflict of interest and non-declaration of assets.

At a point, now-fleeing Obono-Obla wrote to the Confederation of African Football, CAF twisting all the facts with regards to Nigeria’s participation in the CAF Congress of 2015.

On Tuesday, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu dismissed the entire case with all 16 charges, and acquitted the NFF chieftains in consideration of the submission of the defence and the prosecution and in line with the rules of administration of criminal justice.

The clean bill is a confirmation of the position of the NFF on all swirling allegations of corruption against its officials.

Nigeria’s supreme football-governing body has always insisted that its leaders were being victimised by persons who lost elections through the ballot and were seeking other means to upturn things at Glass House, or disgruntled individuals simply on a mission of vendetta.

Only last month, a motion by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to remove the names of Pinnick and Sanusi from the witnesses’ category and add them to the list of accused persons in a case at the FCT High Court over the same $8.4 million FIFA Grant was put on hold after the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation submitted that it was taking over the case with a view to ascertaining its validity, seeing that same persons were being charged spuriously in different courts and/or investigated by several agencies over the same allegations hewed out of petitions by the same individuals. 

At the court on Tuesday, a counsel from the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation, which had taken over the case, said it could not proceed with the matter as the proof of evidence could not sustain the charges. NFF’s counsel adduced reasons why the charges could not be sustained:

1. The SPIP Investigation Report dated April 30, 2019 filed in the Honourable Court as Exhibit 7 in the Proof of Evidence and its Findings as contained in page 13 to 21 cleared the NFF officials of all allegations, based on the petition investigated by the Panel.

2. A review of the certified true copy of the NFF Bank account with the Central Bank of Nigeria found that there was no transaction of N4 billion or any amount whatsoever on November 3, 2018 as alleged in the charges filed by SPIP.

It was also found that the total inflow into the said NFF account for the whole of 2018 is far less than N1 billion, confirming that the alleged N4 billion never existed anywhere in the first instance.

In the circumstances, the Defence Counsel applied to the court to dismiss the charges and also discharge and acquit the NFF chieftains, since the proof of evidence could not sustain the charges. The AGF office counsel did not have any objection to this submission by the defence.

The judge then ruled that in view of these facts, she had no option than to discharge and acquit the defendants on all counts, wondering why the case was brought to the court in the first place.

Defence Counsel, Barrister Sani Katu, put the issues in perspective: “The matter was adjourned till today to allow time for investigation as to whether the defendants should be arraigned or not by the Office of the Attorney General which had taken over the matter.

The Office of the Attorney General went and investigated the matter and discovered that the proof of evidence could not sustain the charges. On that basis, the Office of the AGF applied to withdraw the charges and the consequence is that the defendants should be discharged and acquitted from all 16 charges, to which the court agreed.”

•PHOTO: NFF President Amaju Pinnick

Source Daily Sports

Posted November 6, 2019


 

You may also like...
Substitutes set up Everton win over Palace

Real Madrid protest against Girona-Barca game being played...

Super-Sub Osimhen Shines in Lille Victory over Saint-Etienne...

Don’t impose players on Rohr – Nwosu tells...

Rivers United thrash Sudanese invaders, close in on...

2019 All Africa Games: Nigeria Volleyball Teams Get...

 

Latest News Premier League Players, Staff Pass Covid-19 Test Ahead June 17 Restart Simon And Osimhen Shortlisted For Best Ligue 1 African Player Prize Five-Star Bayern Edge Closer To 30th League Title Losses To Argentina, Algeria Were Heartbreaking — Iwobi Day Drogba, Mido Fight Shook The Plane — Coach Five-Sub Rule Could Count Against Barca — Setien Zola: Chelsea Players Got Bored Under Sarri Kane Warns Spurs They Can’t Slip Up In Quest For UCL Bayern Players Accept Salary Cut Until ‘End Of Season’ Suarez: Barcelona till Looking To Win Everything Giroud Reveals Europa League Final Motivation Against Arsenal Bremen Boost Survival Hopes With Win At Struggling Schalke

 

Most Read Rangers International going, going . . . (46,857 views) Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (38,667 views) Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (37,185 views) Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (36,831 views) Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (35,996 views) Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (35,946 views) Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (35,891 views) Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (34,974 views) Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (34,337 views) NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (34,318 views) Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (32,184 views) John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (31,693 views)

 

 


 

News Athletics (326) Basketball (205) Boxing (617) Columnists (580) Euro Soccer Update (7554) Fans Assembly (4) From the Grassroots (63) Golf (80) Interviews (15) Live Commentary (4) News (6390) NPL Glo Premier League (1167) People and Places (22) Readers Parliament (8) Tennis (643)

 

 

 

Phone numbers

Tel: +234(0)8066020976
+234(0)8055068145
+234(0)7013416146
+234(0)8094272884

Email addresses

info@dailysportsng.com
support@dailysportsng.com
publisher@dailysportsng.com

Office address

No 3, Adetoun Close, Off College Road, Ogba, Ikeja Lagos.
Website: www.dailysportsng.com

Social Media