By Daily Sports on July 1, 2018
Jo Konta insists she is feeling no pressure as she heads into Wimbledon, no weight of expectation after her remarkable run to the semi-finals last year.
She says she is happy and excited, enjoying home comforts, and is only accountable to herself.
There is one thing, however, that has threatened to shatter the 27-year-old’s seemingly impenetrable sense of calm — the ‘violating’, ‘invasive’ drugs-testing procedure.
Invasive was the word used by Serena Williams’ camp after it emerged an anti-doping official turned up at her home at 8.30am on June 14 for what would have been her sixth test of the year. Most Americans have not been tested more than once.
Williams was not home so the tester insisted on waiting for her return but, after a stand-off, left without a sample.
Konta didn’t want to comment on Williams’ situation, but the British No. 1 did speak publicly for the first time about missing a doping test in March, something she blames on a technicality in the system by which players update their whereabouts.
“It was basically a mix-up of time zones more than anything,” she said, explaining that the issue arose from the time difference between California, where she was competing, and London.
“It was a bit of a tough one for me to swallow because it was a little bit out of my control. But since then, I’ve just been trying to be extra vigilant on changing it [her whereabouts] even more in advance to try to avoid those sorts of mistakes.”
Her issue is not with the drug-testing itself — she accepts it comes with the territory of professional sport — but in the process.
“It’s important to have integrity in this sport, but I do feel there’s definitely room for improvement in the way athletes are treated.
“It’s quite a violating process: people come to your home. You’re in your pyjamas. You get pulled out of bed, told to take down your pants, give your arm, pee in a cup. It is invasive. It’s not something I will miss when I retire.”
Konta is now on one strike after that missed test. The rules state that a player can have three in a year before a violation.
“When that happened, I was super stressed,” she said. “I definitely felt hard done by because I’ve always tried so hard to be really vigilant with it. It felt like I got called out on a technicality more than anything.”
As the questions about Wimbledon returned, so did the sense of calm.
But Konta would not look beyond her first-round opponent, world No 106 Natalia Vikhlyantseva of Russia.
“She’s a player with a big game,” she said. “I know she has big shots. In terms of me, I think I’m getting better and better. I feel like I’m playing more consistently at the level that I want to improve from and keep playing. I’ll be working very hard to earn my way into the next round.” (Daily Mail)
•Photo shows Konta
Source Daily Sports
Posted July 1, 2018
You may also like...
Legendary Goalkeeper Beats Coronavirus
Lyon See Off Strasbourg To move Top Of...
Klopp Accuses Premier League Of Ignoring Player Welfare...
Murray ready for more gold in Rio
FG yet to host Flamingos 175 days after...
Haaland, Lewandoski Kante Nominated For Champions League Award...

Amusan targets World Ultimate Champs qualification
Joshua, Fury must not lose next fight – Hearn
I’m enjoying best period of my career – Osimhen
EFN, NUC move to integrate esports into Nigerian varsitie
Besiktas open to €10m Ndidi sale
NBF Pro targets better pay for boxers – Omo-Agege
FirstBank pledges commitment as 8th OBJ golf tourney tees off
Shameless, Brainless and Clueless Nigeria’s Football Officials
Bassey Africa’s best defender – Osimhen
Finidi targets NPFL title after CAFCL ticket
LOC chair promises unforgettable WTT Lagos
Akwa governor almost stopped Uyo pitch maintenance – Gusau
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,783 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (55,103 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (53,046 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,627 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,543 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,445 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (52,286 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,840 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (51,028 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,526 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,952 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,400 views)