By Daily Sports on May 24, 2018
When Yannick Noah sparked joyous celebrations around France in 1983 by hoisting the Musketeers’ Cup, no one in the country would have guessed that the wait to see the next home-grown men’s champion would last at least another 35 years.
As far as Henri Leconte, the last Frenchman to contest a Roland Garros final way back in 1988, is concerned, the chances of that barren run ending in 2018 is almost zero and he planted the blame on the French Tennis Federation (FFT).
During much of the last two decades, there were numerous French men populating the top 100 of the ATP rankings.
But barely any of them came close to winning one of the four majors — with Arnaud Clement (2001 Australian Open) and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008 Australian Open) being the only ones to reach a major final since 1998.
“I think the French Federation made a mistake going for quantity rather than quality,” Leconte, one of the most flamboyant players of his era, told Reuters.
“The other thing is that I think they need to go and watch what they are doing in Australia, Russia, America or the Czech Republic.
“We think we are the best in the world. We still have the best organisation but we are not the best in the world.
“We are not doing the right things, we are going in the wrong direction. Even in the clubs, things are not going well.”
The situation is so bad now, Leconte did not even hold out much hope of a Frenchman reaching the second week of the May 27-June 10 tournament.
Former French number one Tsonga, who reached the last four twice at Roland Garros, has been ruled out injured and the current number one, Lucas Pouille, has not won back-to-back claycourt matches on the ATP Tour this season.
“The best player we have now is maybe Richard Gasquet if he is fit. We would be very lucky if we have a French player in the second week,” Leconte, who lost to Mats Wilander in the 1988 final, said.
Since an injury-prone Gasquet has won only one match on red dirt in his last three tournaments, things are certainly looking bleak.
Leconte, who will commentate on Eurosport during the French Open, believes the local players do not put in the effort required, physically or mentally, to compete with the likes of 10-times champion Rafael Nadal.
“They are afraid. They don’t train as much on clay as much as we used to. They are afraid to play at the French Open. They are always coming with an excuse, saying ‘oh I have a bad back or elbow’,” Leconte explained.
“I think it’s sad because they have the potential to do well on clay. But I think the pressure from the fans and press gets to them. It gets worse and worse.
“I hope Pouille does well at the French Open and does well with the draw but he will have to cross his fingers.
“Besides Pouille, it’s the first French Open where we are not going to have many French players seeded. If we are lucky to have a player in the second week that will be great.”
Gael Monfils might have harboured hopes of going deep into the tournament, just like he did in 2008 when he made it to the last four. But he is just back from a two-month injury layoff and he has yet to reach his best level.
“Right now it’s tough mentally,” said Monfils.
At last year’s U.S. Open, FFT president Bernard Giudicelli had told Reuters it was time for the French to “stop being losers”.
That time has not come yet. (Reuters)
•Photo shows Leconte
Source Daily Sports
Posted May 24, 2018
You may also like...
UEFA Champions League Preview - Man.City vs PSG...
Akpabio crowned Nigerian Pillar of Sports 2017
Kasa Memorial Tennis Gets Dec. 13 Date For...
Madrid’s Mbappe suffers thigh injury before Atletico derby...
Osimhen mum on transfer after title win
Nigeria Need Luck to Win 2019 U-17 AFCON...

Osimhen undergoes tests today for Fenerbahce return
Atalanta must take UCL form to Serie A – Lookman
Crystal Palace's five-match unbeaten run ended by Strasbourg
EPL: Chelsea, Arsenal set for London derby as Man City hosts struggling Leeds
Pimblett to fight Gaethje for interim title in January
Madueke 'not worried' by fan criticism over signing
'More identity' - Frank takes heart from Spurs defeat at PSG
Slot having 'same conversations' at club despite form
Ex-UFC champ, Garcia warn Paul against Joshua fight
Bayelsa begin NWFL title defence against Edo Queens
‘Nigeria ready for West Africa paravolley tourney’
18 teams battle for Renewed Hope basketball tourney
Rangers International going, going . . . (63,374 views)
Amaju Pinnick: A cat with nine lives (54,608 views)
Second Term: Amaju Pinnick, Other NFF Heavyweights Home to Roost •How Pinnick Broke the Jinx (52,547 views)
Current issues in Nigerian sports: Matters arising (52,185 views)
Sports Development: Zenith Bank on the zenith (52,161 views)
Missing $150,000 IAAF Grant: Solomon Dalung’s Hide and Seek game (52,078 views)
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje’s solid footprints, commitment to sports development in Kano State (51,922 views)
NFF Presidency: Pinnick, Maigari, Ogunjobi, Okoye in Battle for Supremacy (51,503 views)
Olopade, BET9A wave of revolution in NNL (50,632 views)
Commonwealth Games 2018: Shame of Muhammadu Buhari, Solomon Dalung (49,198 views)
Ibrahimovic’s Man U exit: Whose decision is it? And in whose interest? (47,590 views)
John Mikel Obi: Segun Odegbami’s Outrageous Call! (47,065 views)